Flambeau Mine History
Discovered in 1969, the Flambeau Deposit was mined between 1993 and 1997. During its four year operating life, the environmentally responsible Flambeau Mine produced 181,000 tons of copper, 334,000 ounces of gold and 3.3 million ounces of silver.
Permitted under Wisconsin's stringent and comprehensive mining laws, the mine conducted more than 1000 analyses on water samples and treated more than 600 million gallons of water in a state-of-the-art water treatment plant.
During construction and operations, 85% of the workforce were local residents.
More than 100,000 people visited the mine, taking in the view from the Visitors Center, high above the 181-acre site. Reclamation began in 1997 and has been completed.
To learn more about the history of the Flambeau mine, download the Overview fact sheet (177 kb pdf)